During 1919 the Inverell Municipal Council advertised for submissions of names of those who had died on active service during the War so that memorial trees could be planted in their honour.
The planting of 215 Kurrajong trees was reported in the Inverell Times newspaper 9 September 1919 which recorded the Mayor Ald. Ring as saying '... that it was the mothers who had felt the loss of their dear boys the most.'
Ald. McIlveen made a speech saying the Council realised that for many relatives and it would not be possible for them ' ... to visit the soldiers graves in far off lands .' It was regarded as a place where relatives might find some comfort and others could come to '... gratefully acknowledge the debt they owe to those who made peace possible at so great a price.' The Kurrajong trees were chosen because they were '... bright, sparkling and evergreen, as should be the memory of these soldiers.'
The trees were placed in the park from The Knoll (Clive Street) down towards the Tingha Bridge with the first trees planted on Saturday 6 September 1919. Two hundred and fifteen names were submitted for this memorial project.
In 2006 the Inverell Apex Club built the Kurrajong Memorial. The World War 1 Gun, captured by the 33rd Battalion and presented to Inverell, was relocated to this site.
The park has undergone significant changes however it remains as a permanent and highly visible memorial not just to the men of the Kurrajongs but to all Inverell district men who sacrificed their lives during World War 1.
Click for larger photo