Five days after the formation of the Australian branch of the British Red Cross on 13 August 1914, an advertisement appeared in the Inverell Times newspaper for a public meeting to be held at the Town Hall
... for the purpose of establishing a Patriotic Fund, Formation of a Red Cross Society and to Farewell the Troops (22) leaving for the War ...
The well attended meeting approved the formation of a Red Cross Branch and the ladies then had a separate meeting the following day to elect a committee. The 70 ladies present elected Mrs. Le Brun Brown as President. In their first year these women made over 1000 garments as well as raising funds and donating other items such as stationery, soap, bandages, magazines and knitting socks and scarves.
They continued their work throughout the War years with assistance from local men who transported their sewing machines, raised funds, packaged parcels and delivered them to the railway to be sent to Sydney for distribution. Their efforts throughout the War were extraordinary.
Today, Inverell Branch is still active and provides a valuable service to our community.