The Hamilton brothers were the sons of John and Emily Hamilton of Craignathan, Delungra, NSW. They were born in South Australia, John in 1890; Oliver 1892, and Frederick 1895. About 1907 the family moved to the Delungra district where they obtained land on the Myall Creek Estate. At the time of enlistment the three men gave their occupation as Farmer.
Frederick enlisted at Inverell in August 1916, joining the 33rd Battalion, 5th Reinforcement. At Delungra he was one of five men given a ‘Send Off’ at the School of Arts Hall and presented with a silver matchbox and socks. He left Australia on SS Port Napier in November, arriving in England in January 1917. Three months later he was sent to France where he was wounded in action in June. During April 1918 he was appointed Lance Corporal and in December promoted to Corporal. He returned to Australia in August 1919. His name is recorded on the Inverell Honor Roll and at the Anzac Park memorial gate at Delungra.
John and Oliver enlisted together at Inverell in May 1917. They joined the 1st Pioneer Battalion, 13th Reinforcement and left Australia together on HMAT A14 Euripides in October. After arriving in England, training continued until they were sent to France in March 1918.
Oliver was wounded in action in July. He returned to Australia in January 1920 and discharged.
John was awarded the Military Medal for ‘conspicuous devotion to duty’ at Jeancourt when he ‘displayed fine gallantry and set an excellent example to his comrades’. (Commonwealth Gazette No 135, 11 December 1919), John returned home in September 1919 and was discharged three months later. His name is recorded on the new Anzac Memorial Gate in Delungra.
The three Hamilton men have their names recorded on the Delungra Honor Roll.