John, the fifth son of John and Mary Dight, was born at Yetman in 1886 and grew up at Boonal Station. After leaving school he worked as a Petty Sessions Clerk at Lismore and then for three years at West Wyalong.
At the age of thirty he enlisted in Sydney in March 1916, and the following month attended an NCO’s school. He spent some months at the Bathurst Camp and trained in Musketry before leaving Australia with the 53rd Battalion, 7th Reinforcement in October.
After arriving in England on the transport ship HMAT A11 Ascanius, he was appointed Sergeant. John worked with Instruction Staff until the end of August 1917 when he was sent to France and promoted to Lance Corporal.
Just a month later John was Killed in Action on 24 September 1917 at Polygon Wood, Belgium. John has no known grave and his name is among those inscribed on the Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium.
His only remaining possessions, a Religious book and badges, were returned to his wife.
At St. Barnabas’ Church, West Wyalong, where John had been Choirmaster before the war, six oak choir stalls were erected in his memory.