ARTHUR, Stanley, Errol and Nigel

Stanley, Errol and Nigel were the sons of George and Margaret Arthur who lived at the property ‘Atholton’ Nullamanna. Their births were registered at Inverell.

Stanley was the first of the brothers to enlist. He was a 27 year old Assistant Stock Inspector with the Tick Quarantine Staff when he enlisted at Holsworthy in November 1914. He became a member of the Veterinary Section 1, 13th Field Artillery Brigade and departed Australia for Egypt on the transport ship A31 Ajana in December 1914, just four days after his marriage.

During March 1916 he was promoted to Sergeant and attached to 113 Battery, 25th Brigade. Three months later he was sent to France where he became ill and then sent to England for treatment. He returned to France until September 1918 when he went back to England, was assigned for Submarine Duty and sent back to Australia. He was medically discharged in January 1919. After the War he became Assistant Stock Inspector at Yelarbon, Qld.

Nigel enlisted at Liverpool NSW a few days after Stanley. He was a twenty-year-old Labourer who had been a member of the Nullamanna Rifle Club. He joined the 6th Light Horse 3rd Regiment and sailed from Australia for Egypt on HMAT A6 Clan Mccorquadale in February 1915. Nigel was at Gallipoli until becoming ill, admitted to 1st AG hospital at Cairo, and then returned to Australia. He was welcomed home at the Nullamanna Hall, just prior to the departure of the first Contingent of the Kurrajongs. The following year Nigel returned to Egypt and served in Palestine until his return to Australia in February 1918. He was discharged and lived in Sydney for some years before moving to work at Tibooburra.

Errol was a twenty-six-year-old single man when he enlisted in Sydney in October 1916. He had been working as a Station Manager at Beaudesert, Queensland before the War. Errol joined the 20th Battalion, 18th Reinforcement and sailed from Australia for England on HMAT A29 Suevic in November 1916. After three months training he was sent to France where he was wounded in April 1918. He returned to England and was admitted to hospital at Colchester for treatment of a gunshot wound to his abdomen. Errol returned to Australia by the hospital ship Karoola and medically discharged in March 1919. He married in 1925 and by the 1930s was a Stock Inspector in the Tenterfield District. Errol died in 1942 and was buried at the Nullamanna Cemetery.

The names of Stanley, Errol and Nigel are recorded on the Nullamanna Honor Roll and the Inverell Honor Roll.