FARNANT, Andrew, Frazer and Percival

Andrew, Frazer and Percival were the sons of Andrew and Jane Farnant and were born at Bukkulla, north of Inverell.

Frazer enlisted in Sydney in August 1915 when he was twenty-seven. He was one of four men given a Farewell at Bukkulla Hall and presented with a wristwatch, socks and a silver pencil. As a member of Dinton Vale Rifle Club he was also given an inscribed gold medal. He joined the 1st Light Horse Regiment, 11th Reinforcement and sailed from Australia for Egypt on HMAT A47, Mashobra in October. He transferred to the 4th Division Artillery then the 10th Field Artillery Brigade and was sent to France in August 1916. He became ill and was admitted to hospital for several weeks. The following year he had a hip injury and was sent to England for treatment. He returned to Australia by hospital ship and was medically discharged in January 1918. The following month he was one of three men given a ‘Welcome Home’ at Dinton Vale and presented with another inscribed rifle club gold medal. He lived at Bukkulla and enlisted again in 1940, serving with the 18th Australian Employment Company. Frazer died in 1950 at Mayfield NSW.

Andrew enlisted in Brisbane in April 1916, under the first name of Alexander, having originally completed his attestation forms five months earlier. He was a forty year old single man, working as a Labourer. He joined the 31st Battalion, 6th Reinforcement and sailed from Australia for Egypt on HMAT A40 Ceramic in April 1916. He was sent to England in June 1916 and then to France in September. At the end of 1916 he returned to England and was stationed at Perham Downs, before being transferred to the Australian Dermatological Hospital nursing staff. He returned to Australia and was medically discharged in January 1920. He died in 1952 and was buried at Ashford.

Percival enlisted at Ashford in May 1918 when he was thirty-three. He was given a farewell at Inverell Council when he was presented with the Inverell Medal and socks. As a member of the 10th General Service Reinforcements, he sailed from Australia for England on HMAT A30 Borda in July 1918. He was transferred to the 13th Battalion, then the 34th Battalion and stationed at Codford before being sent to France for six months in January 1919. Percival returned to Australia and became the Postmaster at Bukkulla. He died in 1952 at Concord Repatriation Hospital and was given a military funeral at Beresford.

Frazer has his name recorded on the Ashford Honor Roll.